Neel Shimpi B.D.S., M.M., Ph.D.
Associate Research Scientist
Institute for Oral and Systemic Health
1000 North Oak Ave. ML3 Marshfield, WI 54449
- 2016 to 2017:
- Certificate , Clinical Research, National Institute of Health, USA
- 2014 to 2017:
- PhD, Doctor of Philosophy, Biomedical and Healthcare Informatics, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
- 2010 to 2012:
- Master of Management (M.M), Management with majors in Healthcare Informatics, Cambridge College of Management, Massachusetts, USA
- 2008 to 2009:
- Post graduate diploma in Healthcare Management (PG, Healthcare Management, Symbiosis Center of Health Sciences, Pune, India
- 2007 to 2008:
- Post graduate diploma in Clinical Research (CCR), Clinical Research, Symbiosis Center of Health Sciences, Pune, India
- 2001 to 2005:
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery ( B.D.S), Dentistry, C.S.M.S.S Dental College, Maharashtra University of Health Sceinces, Aurangabad, India
- 2017 to Present:
- Associate Research Scientist, Marshfield Clinic, Wisconsin, USA
- 2013 to 2017:
- Research Specialist, Marshfield Clinic, Wisconsin, USA
- 2012 to 2013:
- Research Assistant, Marshfield Clinic, Wisconsin, USA
- 2011 to 2012:
- Visiting Faculty Member, Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Pune, India
- 2010 to 2012:
- Graduate Student, Cambrige College of Management, Cambridge , MA, USA
- 2008 to 2010:
- Study Co.ordinator, Clincal Trials, SK Medical Center, Pune, India
- 2006 to 2007:
- Dental Surgeon, Self-employed, Dental Clinic, Polyclinic, Aurangabad, India
- 2004 to 2005:
- Dental Residency, C.S.M.S.S Dental College and Hospital, Aurangabad, India
My passion and motivation towards investigating oral and systemic connections and informatics is driven by my previous work experience as a dental surgeon, clinical trial study coordinator and latest work experience as a research specialist at Marshfield Clinic in conducting various cutting-edge research studies including clinical and oral-systemic health research surrounding relationships between diabetes and periodontal disease, pregnancy and oral health, among others. I have been actively engaged in research advancing medical-dental integration for over 5 years, and have the appropriate background, training and expertise to proactively collaborate with the research team on advancing the proposed research study. Currently, as a tenure-track associate research scientist at the Center for Oral and Systemic Health (COSH) at Marshfield Clinic Research Institute (MCRI), my main focus is on investigating oral and systemic relationships with high potential for translation into clinical practice, developing and evaluating various clinical decision support tools, applying natural language processing and patient engagement/education modules, which leverage my expertise in the field of biomedical and healthcare informatics. As a research specialist, I was also involved in studies surrounding patient engagement and activation via the internet, patient health portals, focus groups, and gaining insight into patient awareness of on various oral-systemic disease relationships. I will serve as a co-investigator on the present study. My previous training, problem-solving skills and experience position me to actively collaborate and contribute to achievement of the defined study objectives to ensure successful completion of the proposed study.
Medical and Dental informatics, Artificial Intelligence, Investigating Oral and Systemic Health Connections, Developing Clinical Decision Support Tools, Provider and Patient Education and Electronic Health Records.
Shimpi N, Schroeder D, Kilsdonk J, Chyou PH, Glurich I, Acharya A. Assessment of Dental Providers’ Knowledge, Behavior and Attitude towards Incorporating Chairside Screening for Medical Conditions: A Pilot Study. Journal of Dentistry and Oral Care Medicine. 2016 Feb 8;2(1):102.
Schwei K, Thomas K, Mahnke A, Shimpi N, Thirumalai V, Enstad C, Johnson K, Godlevsky O, Johnson N, Rush B, Acharya A. Usability Heuristic Evaluation of a Web-based Case Simulator for Dentists. J Dent Res. 2016; :95.
Shimpi N, Schroeder D, Kilsdonk J, Chyou PH, Glurich I, Penniman E, Acharya A. Medical Providers' Oral Health Knowledgeability, Attitudes, and Practice Behaviors: An Opportunity for Interprofessional Collaboration. J Evid Based Dent Pract. 2016 Mar;16(1):19-29.
PubMed ID: 27132552
Shimpi N, Bharatkumar A, Jethwani M, Chyou PH, Glurich I, Blamer J, Acharya A. Knowledgeability, Attitude and Behavior of Primary Care Providers Towards Oral Cancer: a Pilot Study. J Cancer Educ. 2016 Jul 23;
PubMed ID: 27448614
Acharya A, Shimpi N, Mahnke A, Mathias R, Ye Z. Medical care providers' perspectives on dental information needs in electronic health records. J Am Dent Assoc. 2017 May;148(5):328-337.
PubMed ID: 28284418
Glurich I, Schwei KM, Lindberg S, Shimpi N, Acharya A. Integrating Medical-Dental Care for Diabetic Patients: Qualitative Assessment of Provider Perspectives. Health Promot Pract. 2017 Oct 1; :1524839917737752.
PubMed ID: 29073800
Neel Shimpi, Kelsey Schwei, Sara Cooper, Po-Huang Chyou, Amit Acharya. Understanding patients’ oral health information needs. The Journal of the American Dental Association. 2018 Mar;149 :184-190.
Shimpi N, Ye Z, Koralkar R, Glurich I, Acharya A. Need for diagnostic-centric care in dentistry: A case study from the Marshfield Clinic Health System. J Am Dent Assoc. 2018 Feb;149(2):122-131.
PubMed ID: 29389335
Harshad Hegde, Neel Shimpi, Ingrid Glurich, Amit Acharya. Tobacco use status from clinical notes using Natural Language Processing and rule based algorithm. Technology and Health Care. 2018 Mar; :1-12.