Robert Haws MD
Pediatrics-Nephrology Physician/Director of Clinical Research
1000 North Oak Avenue 1A4 Marshfield, WI 54449
- Fellowship, Pediatric Nephrology, University of Texas Southwestern-Medical Center, Dallas,TX
- Residency, Pediatrics, Wright State University-Affiliated Hospitals, Dayton, OH
- Internship, Pediatrics, Wright State University-Affiliated Hospitals, Dayton, OH
- MD, University of Utah-School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT
- BS, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT
- 2014 to Present:
- Director of Clinical Research, Marshfield Clinic Research Institute, a division of Marshfield Clinic, Inc., Marshfield, WI
- 2004 to Present:
- Attending Physician, Marshfield Medical Center, Marshfield, WI
- 2004 to Present:
- Pediatric Nephrologist, Marshfield Clinic, Marshfield, WI
- 1997 to 2004:
- Reserve Service, Lieutenant Colonel - Pediatric Nephrologist, United States Air Force
- 1995 to 1997:
- Pediatric Nephrology, Southwest Texas Methodist Hospital, San Antonio, TX
- 1995 to 1997:
- Pediatric Nephrology, Santa Rosa Children's Hospital, San Antonio, TX
- 1993 to 1997:
- Pediatrics, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX
- 1993 to 1997:
- Assistant Professor - Pediatrics, Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD
- 1986 to 1997:
- Active Duty Service - Pediatric Nephrologist, United States Air Force
- 1990 to 2005:
- Pediatrics (1990) Recertified 1998
- 1993 to 2020:
- Pediatric Nephrology (1993) Recertified 2000, 2007, 2015
Honors & Awards
- The Gerald E. Porter MD Teaching Award for Excellence in Pediatric Education
- Marshfield Clinic Research Mentor of the Year
- Bardet-Biedl Syndrome Family Association “Hero of the Year Award”
- Gwen D. Sebold Fellowship for Outstanding Research Award
- C. Todd Stewart Award for Clinical Excellence
“I want my patients to feel that they received the best-quality care from someone who truly cared about them. It’s fun to work with children because they have a positive outlook on life and are real fighters.”
Dr. Haws and his wife, Kellie, have nine children. I enjoy spending time with my family, serving as a Boy Scout troop leader and tracing my family genealogy.
- American Society of Nephrology
- American Society of Pediatric Nephrology
- International Society of Pediatric Nephrology
- 2015 to Present:
- Marshfield Clinic Research Institute, a division of Marshfield Clinic, Inc. Board of Trustees, Board Member
Haws RM., Weinberg AG, Baum M. (1992 January). Spontaneous remission of congenital nephrotic syndrome: a case report and review of the literature. Pediatr Nephrol. 6(1):82-84.
PubMed ID: 1536747
Haws RM., Baum M. (1993 June). Efficacy of albumin and diuretic therapy in children with nephrotic syndrome. PEDIATRICS. 91(6):1142-1146.
PubMed ID: 8502517
Haws RM., Shaul PW, Arant BS, Atiyeh BA, Seikaly MG. (1994 June). Glomerular losartan (DuP 753)-sensitive angiotensin II receptor density is increased in young spontaneously hypertensive rats. Pediatr Res. 35(6):671-676.
PubMed ID: 7936816
Neuhauser TS, Lancaster K, Haws RM., Drehner D, Gulley ML, Lichy JH, Taubenberger JK. (1997 May). Rapidly progressive T cell lymphoma presenting as acute renal failure: case report and review of the literature. Pediatr Pathol Lab Med. 17(3):449-460.
PubMed ID: 9185223
Geller DS, Zhang J, Zennaro MC, Vallo-Boado A, Rodriguez-Soriano J, Furu L,...Lifton RP [including Haws RM..] (2006 May). Autosomal dominant pseudohypoaldosteronism type 1: mechanisms, evidence for neonatal lethality, and phenotypic expression in adults. J Am Soc Nephrol. 17(5):1429-1436.
PubMed ID: 16611713
Haws RM., Joseph M, Adelman R. (2008 March). Two cases of pheochromocytoma presenting with ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder)-like symptoms. Pediatric Nephrology. 23(3):473-5.
PubMed ID: 17973124
Bleyer AJ, Zivná M, Hulková H, Hodanová K, Vyletal P, Sikora J,...Hart PS [including Haws RM..] (2010 December). Clinical and molecular characterization of a family with a dominant renin gene mutation and response to treatment with fludrocortisone. CLINICAL NEPHROLOGY. 74(6):411-22.
PubMed ID: 21084044
Wiley JR, Shivaram P, Resnick JM, Fish DL, Park RW, Haws RM.. (2015 April). Diarrhea in a post-renal transplant child: Answers. Pediatr Nephrol.. 30(4):591-3.
PubMed ID: 24271578
Wiley JR, Shivaram P, Resnick JM, Fish DL, Park RW, Haws RM.. (2015 April). Diarrhea in a post-renal transplant child: Questions. Pediatr Nephrol.. 30(4):589-90.
PubMed ID: 24165966
Schrodi SJ, Debarber A, He M, Ye Z, Peissig PL, VanWormer JJ,...Steiner R [including Haws RM., Brilliant MH.] (2015 June). Prevalence estimation for monogenic autosomal recessive diseases using population-based genetic data. Hum Genet. 134(6):659-69.
PubMed ID: 25893794
Haws RM., Krentz AD, Stankowski RV, Steiner R. (2015 June). Bardet-Biedl syndrome:A model for translational research in rare diseases. NewHorizonsinTranslationalMedicine. 2(2015):102-9.
Dart RA, Haws RM.. (2015 February). The Clinician and Clinical Research: Barriers and Opportunities. Clinical Researcher. 2(1):32-35.
Haws RM, Joshi A, Shah SA, Alkandari O, Turman MA. Renal transplantation in Bardet-Biedl Syndrome. Pediatr Nephrol. 2016 June 1; 31(11):2153-61.
PubMed ID: 27245600
Panny A, Glurich I, Haws RM, Acharya A. (2017 June 1). Oral and Craniofacial Anomalies of Bardet-Biedl Syndrome: Dental Management in the Context of a Rare Disease. J Dent Res. :22034517716913.
PubMed ID: 28662344
Andrew J. Olson, Anthony D. Krentz, Kathleen M. Finta, Uzoma C. Okorie, Robert M. Haws. Thoraco-Abdominal Abnormalities in Bardet-Biedl Syndrome: Situs Inversus and Heterotaxy. J Pediatr. 2018 October 4;